Weekly Reading Round-Up
July 7th, 2017

Happy July, all! I indulged myself over the holiday weekend with a mini-mystery binge: Mary Kubica’s The Good Girl and two of Elly Griffiths’s Ruth Galloway novels, A Dying Fall and The Outcast Dead.

Thanks to a recommendation over on my Facebook author page, I am currently immersed in The Romance Reader’s Guide to Life— which is hard to describe, but entirely absorbing. Set in the 1930s and ’40s, it’s part American historical novel, part mystery, part nineteenth century European swashbuckler, part paranormal (a ghost dog acting as spirit guide?), part goodness only knows. If, like me, you have a weakness for books that can’t quite be defined as one thing or another, then you might enjoy this one, too.

What have you been reading this week?

And speaking of reading… if you haven’t seen it yet, I’m holding my very first English Wife ARC give away! Just head over to the contest post for a chance to read The English Wife way before everyone else. The contest closes on Sunday.

12 Responses to “Weekly Reading Round-Up”

1. Jessica says:

I am currently listening to Jodi Picoult’s Small Great Things and reading Sarah Maclean’s The Day of the Duchess.

2. Susan Willis says:

The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor and A Kestral for a Knave by Barry Jones and The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.

3. Jean says:

June: A Novel by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

4. LynnS says:

I just started The Last Days of Magic, which I think I learned about from an earlier post. History + Faeries? I’m sold!

5. Sheila says:

Re-read of A vision of Light, inspired by this site.

Jo Goodman’s Marry Me, very good

CS Harris Where the Dead Lie–Sebastian St.Cyr, need I say more?

Goodbye for Now, by Catherine Ryan Hyde, very interesting YA addressing many issues as well as an unusual love story.

6. Liz says:

The Romance Reader’s Guide to life has been on my TBR list for a little while – glad to hear it’s so enjoyable!

I finished Excellent Women by Barbara Pym last night after reading it over the course of a week. It’s a great book to spend time with, since it’s almost like receiving correspondence from a (old-fashioned) friend, and it was a bit of a jolt to realize that it’s done!

I’ve also just started Kathleen Flynn’s The Jane Austen Project, and am reading Fitzgerald’s Tales of the Jazz Age and Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience in bits and pieces.

7. Jackie M. says:

In honor of the Fourth of July I’ve been reading Barbara Michael’s Patriot’s Dream. Just as good as her other books – this one was written in 1976 and takes place in Williamsburg.

8. Lara Naregatsian says:

Rules of Murder by Julia Deering – mystery set in early 1930s England. I love this period!

9. Diane says:

I just finished J. Courtney Sullivan’s Saints for All Occasions, and loved it. Beatriz Williams’ Cocoa Beach was a great book to read on my rooftop until a shining sun.

10. Christine says:

The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda made a surprise early appearance from the library so I’m reading that. One day I’ll get around to reading The Fire by Night…

11. Suzanne says:

“The Last Days of Night,” by Graham Moore, and “The Summer Before the War” by Helen Simonson.