Weekly Reading Round-Up
June 23rd, 2017

This week, I started with Carol Goodman’s River Road, a psychological thriller about a hit and run in an upstate New York university town, and all the secrets that come out in its wake.

River Road was an emotionally fraught read, so, after that, I moved on to something a bit less gut-wrenching: Josephine Tey’s Miss Pym Disposes, in which a visiting lecturer finds herself embroiled in the student politics at a phys ed college in England. There’s always something wonderful astringent about Tey’s prose.

What have you been reading this week?

21 Responses to “Weekly Reading Round-Up”

1. Tara says:

Sarah J. Maas’ Queen of Shadows, fourth book in the Throne of Glass series. I actually love catching onto a book or TV series late; then, I can read book after book :) without waiting for a new one to come out.

2. Tracie says:

A Purely Private Matter, which is the latest Rosalind Thorne Mystery by Darcie Wilde. Very engrossing! And this series has a love triangle where both of the males are equally appealing, so I don’t know which one I want the heroine to end up with!

3. JDL says:

I just finished Agatha Christie’s Cat Among The Pigeons which was pretty good (I usually prefer her older books pre-1950). I have started reading Paradise by Judith McNaught which is part of a series a friend suggested to me. I’ve never read this author, but she is supposed to be very popular.

• Lauren says:

I used to love the McNaught books back in the late 80s/early 90s! They’re very Old School– the heroes are always the most masculine of the masculine, the heroines are Practically Perfect in Every Way, and there are always big, gut-wrenching misunderstandings. I remember crying over “Paradise” back in the day….

4. Lauren H says:

I’m almost done with Nnedi Okorafor’s sci-fi novella Binti, and I now want to read everything she’s ever written. Sci-fi can sometimes take me a while to get into but this story is gripping, beautiful, and at times pretty frightening.

I’m also working on C.W. Gortner’s novelization of Marlene Dietrich’s life, Marlene. Still on the fence about this one.

• Tara says:

CW Gortner’s Catherine De Medici book and his Isabella and Ferdinand book are amazing, but I’ve never read that one.

• Lauren H says:

Thanks for the tip! He’s been on my radar for a while, so I was really hoping to love his books. I’ll definitely look into his Medici and Isabella books.

5. Christine says:

All the Missing Girls, which I think I got from the weekly reading roundup (that’s where most of my TBR come from). I’m only about 20% through but great so far!

• Lauren says:

That’s the one that’s written backwards, yes? I wasn’t sure it would work, but it did!

• Christine says:

That’s the one! I’m up to the third or fourth day in reverse. So far not confused at all. It’s like a constant gentle peeling of the onion.

6. Lauren says:

Yay!! So glad to be responsible for adding to the TBR pile….

7. DJL says:

Found new book Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren while browsing at bookstore, and it’s great so far; made me laugh out loud at a few bits, which is always nice :)
    Also continuing Sarah J Maas Throne of Glass series. New one out in September, so hoping to be caught up by then!

8. Rachel Adrianna says:

I work at a library so the stack of items I have checked out is growing precariously every day- this summer has so many wonderful new titles! The ones I’ve actually gotten around to finishing are: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps, The Girls at the Kingfisher Club, and The Jane Austen Project.

9. Bekah says:

I’m currently reading The Night The Lights Went Out by Karen White. This is my first Karen White book (other then The Forgotten Room) and I’m really enjoying it! I can’t believe I haven’t read any of her other books especially since so many of her books take place in coastal SC/GA and I live on the SC coast! Gonna have to put more Karen White books on my TBR list.

10. Carla says:

Light a Penny Candle… One of the few Maeve Binchis I hadn’t read yet :)

11. Miss Eliza says:

I’ve been reading some H.P. Lovecraft for book club and it’s leading to some very bizarre dreams to be sure!

12. Savannah says:

I’m reading Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. I’m late to this series but I’ve heard they’re fun reads.